Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It's My Body and I'll Dress How I Want To

I am a fashion enthusiast. I dress myself solely for the purpose of style and feeling confident. I believe a lot of teenage girls can relate when I say that my parents have told me countless times that I was showing a little too much skin. But the fact of the matter is, I can wear whatever i want. I have never dressed in such a way that I revealed anything unmentionable. Even if I had, it’s my body; it's my choice of what I show. Why is it frowned upon to wear slightly revealing clothing? Honestly. My brother has told me that he thought my shorts were too short and I went on to explain that what I wear is my business and it doesn’t imply anything. Simply because I'm showing a lot of leg doesn’t tell anything about my character. Good people can dress skimpily. Not that anything was hanging out, but even if a girl wants to show off her womanly parts, that’s completely up to her. It doesn’t mean she’s a whore or she’s easy. It means she is wearing clothes that she likes on herself. That's just something that society needs to learn to get over. A person shouldn’t even be offended by how much of someone’s body is showing because humans in the nude is natural! There’s nothing wrong with it and nothing to be ashamed about. My brother suggested that I wear my shorts that go down to my knees. I told him, “It’s hot out.” He said, “I always wear long shorts.” Then I told him, “That’s because the majority of your gender doesn’t think it’s acceptable to show your thighs.” I absolutely love the commercial shown below. I think the shorts look good on both of them. Why aren't more guys daring enough to want to pull this off?
It doesn't matter what your gender is. You're free to dress yourself however you like. We're not 5 years old anymore; we can make our own decisions when it comes to our appearance. Don't be afraid to do something out of the ordinary. Taking risks can be a very good experience. Whatever you choose to do, be confident in yourself and think twice before judging someone else's appearance, because you know you wouldn't want to get judged for yours.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha, that's awesome! I'm glad you agree. And thank you :) I'm sorry I deleted your comment, I dont know how to get it back! :s

      "I feel the exact same way. I think we as a society have perverted the un-perverted. I've always dressed the way I want to. I got Kanye West playing in my head sayin 'Can't nobody tell me nothin!' I also like the way you dress, you have a sick style. Keep being you Amanda.
      -C.J."

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you! I believe that everybody should dress however they want to dress, no questions asked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't dress like that, i'd burn in the sun lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, that may be more difficult in Phoenix ;P

      Delete
  4. Amanda--Your blog is looking really good so far. You have good visual appeal with images, format and layout. Your writing flows well, and you are attempting to thoughtfully engage your audience with interesting discussion. Your personality is showing, and your tone is professionally casual. Good work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this post, I wanted to start a slow clap for you.
    This is exactly how I feel about this topic.
    Who is anybody to judge someone else for dressing a certain way? Especially if it's a way that makes that person happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! And really, judging anyone for anything shouldn't happen, so no one has any place in saying what someone should or should not wear.

      Delete